Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Official Day 1!

Step 1- Talk boyfriend into walking downstairs to knock on the neighbors door, since I am physically unable to walk a flight of stairs after first 9 minutes of exercise, 2 days ago. No answer. I'm going to go ahead and assume I'm free to jump jacks and mime jump rope with abandon then.

Step 2- Muster strength to put on workout clothes, shoes, and strongest sports bra I own.

Step 3- Need to hurry up and do this before I die from hunger (but listening to advice to NOT eat before workout). Lay out mat, get weights ready.

Step 4- Cringe as I turn on the dvd player, fearing what I know is about to come. I'm just going to keep repeating in my head: "Yes, just keep ignoring the dull ache in thighs, no, it won't get worse. This will make it better". I'm totally lying to myself.

Step 5- SUCK IT UP AND GET GOING.

Step 6- Ok I FINALLY completed the ENTIRE first level 1 exercise! It was painful, and horrible- I won't lie. I did have to stop once, briefly, about 12 minutes in, to open the window (yes, open to the snow!) because I was so hot I thought I might die. There I sat letting the cold, snowy air rush over me, for 2 whole minutes and it felt amazing. Then I went back to the video. When I absolutely couldn't do another second of the cardio moves Jillian was doing, I marched along in place until I had the strength to join in again.

Step 7- Lay down and die on your mat with a cold water bottle. I survived Day 1 of 30.

Ok so, let me say, as of today, I HATE jumping jacks. Butt kicks aren't too far behind. Who knew you could hate jumping jacks?! I'm so glad that I completed the whole 20 minutes, although I made one stop and a few modifications. I'm sure that, even though it doesn't feel like it yet, this will get easier and eventually I can do level 1 as it is intended. I did have a very brief second stop during the stretching cool down- which is BY FAR my favorite part of the workout (1- I'm done!, and 2- I've always loved stretching)- anyway, back to the reason for my stop, I had to make a frantic run to the kitchen with a heaving kitty. She was clearly empathetic for how, I too felt like throwing up, but decided it would be better for both of us if she did. How thoughtful of her. I'm sure the mad dash I made to the kitchen, wrenching myself from my seated position on the mat, made up for some of the cardio I marched through. Thanks Jazzie!

Day 1 of Level 1 done! Day 1 of 30 Done! 29 to go...

3 comments:

  1. WOO HOO!!! You made it through the first day! I'm not being facetious. You can't read tone on the Internet, but I'm being completely serious.

    Be warned. I wanted to die until about Day 6. So, when your muscles are screaming at you, take a bath in Epsom Salts or something. Just know that it gets better.

    And, you hate jumping jacks now? I won't tell you what she makes you do in Level 3 with the jumping jacks. You'll just have to wait.

    Muuuuuuuuu ah ah ah ah ah. >:)

    Anyway, GREAT JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even imagine what else you can do with a jumping jack?! I'm sure that devious little Jillian can think of something though... ;) Hmm... do the epsom salts really help? I've never tried that before...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I won't ruin the surprise for you (about the jumping jacks). Epsom salts work for me, but sitting in a nice hot bath without them feels good, too. I've not done any scientific studies. LOL!

    ReplyDelete